Our Way of Giving Back
As a not-for-profit Catholic health care ministry, Providence Health & Services embraces our mission to provide for the needs of the communities we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable. We take great pride in our work and caring for those in need, continuing the tradition that the Sisters of Providence began more than 155 years ago, right here in Washington state.
What are Community Benefits?
Community benefits are the many ways Providence gives back to our communities across Washington. We tailor our programs to respond to neighborhood, area and regional needs around the state. In addition to providing free care for our patients in need, our contributions include:
- Medicaid subsidies – We make up the difference between the cost of providing services to people insured by the state and the amount the state pays for this care.
- Graduate medical education and medical research – We heavily subsidize our graduate medical education programs and help pay for nursing education and medical research.
- Non-billed services – These include free services such as patient education, health screenings, immunizations and support groups.
- Negative-margin programs and services – For example, a number of our clinics are designed to care for underserved and uninsured people, most often at a planned loss.
- Community grants and donations – We give these cash donations and grants to community partners, together with other gifts such as medical supplies and child safety seats.