Providence genetic counselors consult with pregnant women and couples who may be at risk to deliver a child with a birth defect, learning disorder or genetic condition because of family or personal history, age, ultrasound results or serum screening test.
During a genetic consultation at Providence Medical Group Genetics Clinic, we’ll help you understand genetics, the diagnoses under consideration in your case and your options for additional evaluations.
Consider a genetic consultation if someone in your family:
- Has more than one birth defect.
- Has a developmental delay or disability.
- Has physical features that differ from the rest of the family.
- Has growth problems.
- Has a known genetic disorder like Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy or Huntington's disease.
Consider a genetic consultation if:
- You’re concerned your child’s problems might be related to alcohol or drug use during pregnancy.
- Certain health problems seem to “run” in your family.
- Two or more close relatives on the same side of your family have had cancer – such as breast, ovarian or colon cancer.
- You’ve had three or more miscarriages or an unexplained stillbirth.
Consider a genetic consultation if you’re pregnant and:
- Test results indicate an increased risk for having a child with a birth defect.
- You’ll be 35 years of age or older when you deliver.
- You are concerned about an exposure to medications or drugs.