Providence Palliative Care Services is appropriate for patients of any age and at any stage in a serious illness. It can be provided along with other treatments to ensure comfort, well being and peace of mind.
Palliative Care Services may be especially helpful for a patient who is seriously ill and facing questions about the future. Or, if a patient has difficult medical decisions to make and wants help thinking them through.
Palliative Care Services often helps patients with these conditions:
- Breathing problems or other distressing symptoms
- Heart failure
- Liver or kidney problems
Services We Provide
- Relief of pain
- Treatment of symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, breathlessness, depression, anxiety
- Clarification of values and goals for ongoing care
- Facilitation of patient and family care conferences
- Psychosocial support
- Ethical, moral and legal issues in decision-making and end-of-life care
- Coordination of treatment and care among doctors at all stages of illness
- Comprehensive management of last days or hours of life
- Coordination of seamless discharge to appropriate setting
- Spiritual and pastoral care
- Bereavement services
We also offer education programs for physicians, nurses and other health care professionals about palliative medicine and ethical and moral decision-making at the end-of-life.