Comprehensive, Local Cancer Care
Cancer treatment can be debilitating, with symptoms of nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Facing these conditions while driving an hour, two hours, or even more after chemotherapy or radiation treatment is grueling. Doing so day after day, week after week is punishing and exhausting.
Cancer treatment in Walla Walla is infinitely more comfortable- and the outcomes significantly better- for those who receive care in a familiar environment, surrounded by family and friends. Local treatment reduces stress, which can, in turn, decrease hospitalizations and improve medical outcomes.
Providence St. Mary Foundation is committed to supporting new technology and equipment, and sustaining and expanding the emotional support programs that provide a holistic approach to cancer care. Through philanthropic support, the Foundation is able to:
- Provide free mammograms for uninsured, low-income women
- Invest in new cancer care technologies as they emerge so our medical staff can bring the latest treatments to our community
- Help patients in desperate need through the Cancer Special Needs fund, a special fund that provides our most vulnerable patients with gas cards, wigs, medication and other supportive items not covered by insurance
- Sustain and expand the Cancer Center's free emotional support programs, such as:
- CLIMB (Children's Lives Include Moments of Bravery), an education and support group for kids whose parents or grandparents have been diagnosed with cancer. Children participate in various projects, such as decorating a “Worry Box” and a “Feelings Mask” and learn tools to overcome their fear of cancer.
- Hispanic Women’s Cancer Support Group. Funding from the Foundation provides a bilingual/bicultural social worker to serve as a group facilitator. This support group is open to Hispanic women with any kind of cancer, helping them cope and improving their likelihood to follow treatment recommendations.
- Creative Expressions, a workshop that uses painting as a means of expressing feelings in a safe, supportive, non-judgmental setting.