Dr. Smitherman’s medical interests include:
- Malignant primary brain tumors (astrocytomas, glioblastomas)
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Benign primary brain tumors (meningiomas)
- Pituitary gland tumors
- Spinal column and spinal cord tumors
- Peripheral nerve tumors
- Microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia
- Cervical and lumbar spine degenerative disease (stenosis, disc herniations, spondylolisthesis)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ulnar nerve entrapment
- Endoscopy third ventriculostomy
She also has expertise in Chiari malformation, kyphoplasty, spinal instrumentation, spinal fractures and neuro trauma.
Dr. Smitherman is a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the American Association of Neurological Surgery and the Washington State Medical Association. She currently serves on the Multidisciplinary Trauma Quality Assurance and Surgery committees at Providence St. Peter Hospital.