The Day Before Surgery
On the day before your surgery, follow these eating and drinking instructions:
Patients Under Age 6
- No solid food, formula or milk after midnight the night before surgery.
- Water, apple juice or breast milk is allowed until three hours before the surgery is scheduled to begin.
Patients Age 6 and Over
- Do not shave near where you will have surgery. Shaving can irritate your skin which may lead to infection.
- Keep warm. Keeping warm before surgery lowers you chance of getting an infection.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
EXCEPTION: If your surgery begins after
12 p.m. (noon), clear liquids are allowed until 8 a.m. This may includes 12 ounces of water, apple juice, plain jello, black tea and black coffee. No carbonated beverages, sports drinks, broth, breath mints, gum, candy or alcohol.
- Failure to follow these
instructions may result in your surgery being canceled.