Affordable Care Act
New Insurance Information for Patients & Families
Beginning Jan. 1, 2014, the Affordable Care Act will require that everyone have health insurance while making coverage more accessible and affordable for those who do not currently have it, or have limited coverage.
Under the Affordable Care Act, everyone is required to have health insurance. To make it easier for people without employer-sponsored health insurance to obtain coverage, the State of Washington is expanding Medicaid coverage and offering a Health Benefit Exchange, where consumers can compare plans based on price and benefits that suit their needs.
Consumers can apply for both Medicaid Expansion and the Health Benefit Exchange through Washington Healthplanfinder.
Health coverage offered through Washington Healthplanfinder includes:
- Classic Medicaid,
- Expanded Medicaid program for Washington state called “Apple Health,” and
- Various qualified health insurance plans for patients not otherwise eligible for Classic Medicaid and Expanded Medicaid.
Enrollment for health insurance begins Oct. 1, 2013 and closes March 31, 2014. As the leading health provider in Snohomish County and North Puget Sound, Providence is committed to helping patients and their families access these new benefits. More information can be found below to help individuals and families better understand and make the most of these new benefits.
How to enroll
- Online: www.wahealthplanfinder.org
- Call: 1-855-WAFINDER (1-855-923-4633) or e-mail Customer Support at email@example.com.
- Providence participated in a state training program and now offers “In-Person Assisters” at PRMCE to help patients with enrollment. Assistance is available to inpatients as well as patients accessing care in the Emergency Department and other outpatient service locations throughout the hospital. Please call 1-877-215-7833 for more information.
Washington Healthplanfinder website
This is the Web site that newly-eligible consumers will use to enroll in benefits, whether they are through Medicaid Expansion or the Health Benefit Exchange. Tools include side-by-side comparisons of available HBE plans, a cost calculator to estimate premiums, help determining if financial assistance is possible, and online enrollment in the plan selected.
Information for individuals/families from Washington Health Benefit Exchange
Health Reform Basics Video by the Kaiser Family Foundation