CME Planning Resources
When you plan a CME program, the Department of Medical Education can help you:
- Book a room for the meeting
- Prepare flyers
- Help find support with pre-selected speakers (you pick the topic) and/or financial support for catering
- All topics, regardless of length, must be presentd to the Medical Education Advisory Committee
- Provide honoraria for local speakers
CME planning timeline
Here is a helpful timeline for planning a CME conference:
9 months prior:
- Present your topic in person to the Medical Education Committee.
- Provide a written needs assessment for proposed topics.
- Provide a list of potential topics and speakers.
- Provide a list of potential quality metrics to demonstrate outcome of the event
6 months prior:
- Submit a final draft of topics, speakers and objectives.
- Create a brochure draft.
- Submit a final list of quality metrics associated with your conference
5 months prior:
- Send your brochure draft to the Marketing Department at Providence Regional.
- Obtain approval of the brochure design from the chairperson and medical education coordinator.
- Oversee the marketing of your brochure (mailings, emails, etc.)
Note: The chairperson must attend the full CME activity, introduce speakers and oversee the agenda.
Sources for CME topics
The Medical Education Advisory Committee is responsible for planning accredited educational programs after input from multiple sources, including:
- Annual survey of medical staff membership
- Feedback from the PI/QI process
- Medical staff peer review
- Hospital service line PI process
- Hospital staff - nursing, pharmacy, respiratory therapy
- Attendee feedback
- Community needs assessment (our Medical Education Advisory Committee includes a Snohomish County Health District representative)
Since many good ideas come from spontaneous discussions during department meetings, be sure to ask for ideas for medical education several times a year to get important feedback.
For more information
Submit your ideas to the medical education department:
Lisa George, Senior Director Quality & Medical Staff Support
phone: (425) 261-3929 fax: (425) 261-3095 email@example.com
Kevin Clay, Medical Education Chairperson