Clinical Pastoral Education Program Internship
The Spokane, WA Clinical Pastoral Education Program Internship addresses the fundamentals of pastoral formation, pastoral competence and pastoral reflection through one or more program units.
There are two schedules of programs:
The summer unit is a 10 to 11-week, full-time program typically beginning the second week of June and ending around the second or third week of August. It’s open to seminarians, clergy seeking continuing education and qualified lay persons.
An extended unit is typically 24 hours per week for 17-20 weeks, including: a set schedule of direct patient service (clinical rounds during day, evening and night shifts) that is flexed to meet student’s individual schedule; at least five hours of formal class time each week, and regularly scheduled hours of individual supervision. This unit is open to seminarians, clergy seeking continuing education and qualified lay persons.
Providence Sacred Heart’s Clinical Pastoral Education programs follows the standards and guidelines of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. To be considered for admission, applicants must:
- Complete and submit an application with a fee of $35 to “Providence Sacred Heart CPE Center”
- An admissions screening interview (preferably on site)
- At least have a high school graduate or possess a GED; graduation from an accredited college is preferred
- Verified connections with a spiritual community; ordination or commissioning to function in ministry by an appropriate religious authority is preferred
Program learning and service expectations
- Participate in all educational sessions including verbatim seminars, patient care conferences, covenant groups, didactic seminars, and individual supervision, completing all written and educational requirements for the CPE unit.
- Be mentored by Spiritual Care staff and share responsibilities as assigned to provide pastoral and spiritual care to patients, family members and staff.
Written activities include:
- Learning agreement
- Reflection reports
- Final evaluation
- Written papers that reflect on aspects of ministry in an institutional setting, i.e. theodicy or other approved spiritual care topic in consultation with your program supervisor
Summer and extended students receive a meal allowance.
- Nonrefundable application fee: $35
- Nonrefundable down payment upon acceptance in the program: $100
- Tuition: $600 (less down payment) is due the first day of the program, payable to Providence Sacred Heart CPE Center
Limited scholarship assistance is available by application after acceptance into a program.