Partners In Palliative Care
Comprehensive care for those with complex medical conditions
Our Partners in Palliative Care Program offers an innovative, comprehensive care service designed to meet the needs of the community. It is an interdisciplinary team-oriented approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support expressly tailored to the needs and wishes of patients living with complex medical conditions. This unique program is focused on alleviating suffering and promoting quality of life as patient needs are identified and referrals are offered for a variety of community services.
The Partners in Palliative Care Program is a collaborative effort between Providence Hospice and Home Care of Snohomish County, The Everett Clinic and the Providence Regional Cancer Partnership. This innovative program, originally established in partnership with The Everett Clinic in 2004, offers a comprehensive service which ensures specialized care provided by an interdisciplinary team.
Palliative care is about matching treatment to patient goals
Palliative Care is a philosophy of care and an organized system of delivering care which expands the traditional medical treatment plans for people with serious, often complex disease or illness. Its purpose is to decrease suffering and increase quality of life. This program provides “bridge” services and support for patients and their families by addressing the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs to achieve the best possible quality of life.
The goal of the Partners in Palliative Care Program (PPC) is to assure that all patients have the opportunity to be in charge of their health care. The PPC nurse coordinates all aspects of care for that patient. Additional team members include:
- Palliative Care Nurse: provides case management support to patients and families, and referrals to community resources.
- Program Assistant: supports the PPC nurse in making monthly phone contacts with patients on service.
- Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteers: offer companionship and support to the patient and family.
The services offered by the Partners in Palliative Care Program include:
- Systemic support of patients with complex care needs through regular contact;
- Connection and coordination with community resources;
- Coordination of medical appointments and prescription refills;
- Management of complex medical conditions to help decrease unnecessary and/or unwanted hospital and ER visits;
- Advance care planning sessions that respect and offer attention to patients’ values and wishes regarding care.
These services are available through the internal medicine/family practice departments at The Everett Clinic in Everett (Main campus), Marysville, Snohomish, Mukilteo, Stanwood and at the medical and radiation oncology departments at the Providence Regional Cancer Partnership. PPC nurses are located at these particular sites.
The Partners in Palliative Care Program is highly regarded as a role model in the health care industry by providing key care components and ancillary services through community collaborative efforts.
Patients with complex medical conditions and an anticipated progression of a two year life expectancy are eligible for the Partners in Palliative Care program. Patient and family needs are assessed on a case by case basis.
Promoting Quality of Life
“I’m very independent. Without this program I couldn’t keep up.”
For more information please call (425) 261-4800 and ask to speak with the Partners in Palliative Care Program Coordinator.