SoundCareKids is a support program for families with children who have experienced the death of a significant person in their lives. Groups meet in four six-week sessions each year. When in session, SoundCareKids meets on Thursdays from 6:15-7:45 p.m. Spring Session begins April 21st - May 26th. Each 90-minute session utilizes age-appropriate activities that are designed to meet the unique needs of grieving children. Pizza is provided for families each week.
Children are placed into groups by age: our Littles group consists of children ages 3-8; our Middles group is for children ages 9-12; our Teens group is for adolescents ages 13-18. While the children are meeting in their groups, the Adult Caregivers meet to discuss what the children are learning and how to help guide the children through their grief. Families come together at the end of each session for a closing ceremony.
The groups are supervised by a Master’s level counselor and are facilitated by volunteers from the community who have been through background checks, have had specialized training, and who have a genuine interest in helping grieving children learn skills to cope with their loss.
SoundCareKids – A Safe Environment
In SoundCareKids groups, children and youth have the opportunity to:
- Express grief in creative, experiential ways—often through play or similar methods
- Share feelings in a safe, non-judgmental environment
- Make friends with other kids who have experienced the death of someone important in their lives
- Experience healing and peace in the midst of their pain
- The following topics are used to focus on various aspects of grief.
- Group Building and Sharing Our Stories
- Understanding Death
- Identifying and Adjusting to Changes
- Identifying and Expressing Feelings
- Exploring Unfinished Business
- Coping with Feelings
- Learning About Self-Care and Support
- Memories and Staying Connected
Families must register to participate. Please call the SoundCareKids Bereavement Program at (877) 620-3286 or (360) 493-5928 to request the registration materials and to register for the group.
You can also download the registration form (for children or for teenagers 13 years of age or older), complete it, and return it to Providence SoundHomeCare and Hospice, ATTN: SoundCareKids, 3432 South Bay Road NE; Olympia, WA 98506.