Stroke Warning Signs
If you experience any one of these warning signs, call 911 immediately!
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg (especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
These signs can get worse or maybe even improve after a stroke has started. Sometimes that can even change, but they are all signs that the brain is in trouble and needs help right away.
The signs of stroke depend on where the stroke is occurring in the brain. That is why someone who is having a stroke may experience many or only a few signs. Sometimes people may not even know how to describe what is happening, but they know that something just doesn’t feel right.
Usually the warning signs will come on very suddenly, or over several minutes, but that is not always the case. The important thing is to seek immediate medical attention, even if you are unsure if it is a stroke. No one will be upset if it turns out to be a false alarm, but you will be upset if it wasn’t a false alarm.