Brain & Neurosurgery
People diagnosed with essential tremors or Parkinson's Disease are often sentenced to a life of debilitating tremors—shaking so severe that they can no longer work, or perform routine tasks like holding a spoon or fork to feed themselves.
Fortunately, there's a procedure called Deep Brain Stimulation performed at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center that can provide patients in the Spokane, Eastern Washington/Coeur d'Alene, North Idaho region a new lease on life.
Warning: This video contains footage from an actual surgery
At Providence, we focus on offering the best and safest treatments for your care. In addition, our neurosurgeons are recognized for their clinical expertise and contributions in advancing the field of neurosurgery.
In addition, our physician experts have the resources of Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital, the largest medical center between Seattle and Minneapolis. With its new Surgery Center and state-of-the-art technology, you can be assured of world-class care close to home.
Our physicians have extensive experience in caring for patients with problems involving the head, spine, cerebrovascular system and peripheral nerves. Their special capabilities include:
- Computer-assisted stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery to accurately locate, remove or otherwise treat brain tumors. Sacred Heart neurosurgeons are leaders in brain tumor clinical care, education and research. Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services are available for adult and pediatric patients with brain tumors and brain tumor related disorders.
- Computer-assisted surgeries for spinal disorders, including microscopic and endoscopic surgery. Sacred Heart neurosurgeons offer comprehensive service for spinal disorders in adults and children. In fact, Sacred Heart is considered a leader in surgical management and rehabilitation of complex spinal disorders that include degenerative disease, instability, trauma, tumors and infection.
- Sacred Heart neurosurgeons minimally-invasive treatments, such as offer balloon kyphoplasty, to treat spinal fractures (and give aching backs relief!). Researchers estimate one of every two women and one out of every eight men will suffer an osteoporosis-related bone fracture at some point in their life. Among the most painful are compression fractures of the spine.
- Surgical treatment for cerebral aneurysms through an endovascular coiling procedure. Sacred Heart is one of the major clinical, teaching and research centers in the Inland Northwest for the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders. Patients with aneurysms, vascular tumors, malformations, occlusions and ischemia receive expert surgical and post-operative care.
- Functional and Sterotactic Neurosurgery - Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children’s Hospital has received attention for its techniques. Advances in stereotactic surgery (precisely targeted microsurgery using CT scans or magnetic resonance imaging for guidance) allow for minimally invasive procedures for brain biopsies, electrode implants and radiation.
- Pediatric Neurosurgery - Pediatric neurosurgeons perform delicate procedures to treat children with brain and spinal cord injuries and disorders.
- Intracranial vascular surgery.
- Carotid artery surgery and endovascular treatment.
- Surgical treatment for movement disorders, including Parkinson’s disease.
- Spinal tumors and vascular lesions.
- Surgical treatment for trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm.
- Surgery for pituitary tumors.