Providence boasts some of the nation’s leading specialists in the field of interventional neuro-radiology. Interventional neuro-radiology utilizes a thin catheter to perform diagnostic and surgical procedures within blood vessels and spinal vertebrae, while using X-ray guidance:
- BrainLAB radiosurgery utilizes a specially-equipped linear accelerator that is able to deliver high radiation doses to very small targets with extreme precision. The treatment is fast and typically non-invasive, and thanks to BrainLAB's advanced mapping, the radioactive beam is directed precisely to you tumor or lesion, ensuring that the best possible treatment dose is delivered while healthy tissue is protected. Learn More
- Endovascular surgery is used to treat a variety of cerebrovascular diseases (disorders of the blood vessels of the head and neck) including stroke, aneurysms, tumors and arteriovenous malformations and dural arteriovenous fistulas. Many of these diseases are untreatable though conventional surgery, but can be treated through endovascular neurosurgery techniques.
- Endovascular procedures are performed in the angiographic suite in Radiology as opposed to the operating room. A team approach involving neurosurgery, neuroradiology and neurology—along with the use of the highest quality angiographic equipment—is essential for optimal results.
At Providence in Spokane, Endovascular procedures are often used to:
- visualize blood vessels through cerebral angiography
- open clogged or narrowed arteries
- stabilize weak and bulging vessels
- seal off specific blood vessels prior to surgery to minimize bleeding during the operation.