Preparing for Surgery
Your physician will let you know if you need a phone consultation with a nurse to help you prepare for your surgery. The nurse will tell you how our safety measures carefully identify you as the patient, along with your specific procedure and surgical site. Your nurse will also verify your current medications and allergies and tell you what to expect on the day of your surgery.
Before your nurse consultation, please be prepared with:
- a list of any questions you have about your surgery
- a list of your current medications
- medical and surgical history
- other pertinent health information such as if you have a serious health condition, allergies, or previous anesthesia complications
If you're having outpatient surgery, please make sure you have someone readily available to drive you home after your surgery. You'll also need someone to be accessible to you for 24 hours after you get home.
We'll call you to register or validate your information prior to your day of surgery. We'll ask you to verify your insurance and provide other general information. If you wish, you can pre-register online.
Special Instructions from Your Surgeon
Please contact your surgeon before your surgery date if you:
- Take aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications or blood thinning medications. They may need to be temporarily discontinued before surgery.
- Have any unexpected medical problems before your scheduled surgery such as a fever, cold, cough or flu. Your surgery may have to be rescheduled.
- Are diabetic. Your surgeon should give you specific instructions on what to do the day of surgery.
- Regularly take any herbal supplements. You may need to temporarily discontinue taking them before your surgery.
- Also, please do not shave any areas on your body associated with your procedure prior to admission. This is something we take care of just prior to surgery.