Blood Management Program
The Blood Management Program at Providence Sacred Heart uses a patient-centered, team approach to reducing the use of blood products. We focus on strategies to reduce or avoid the need for blood products for all patients, and help coordinate the care of adult patients who choose not to receive blood products under any circumstances.
If you do not wish to receive blood products, please contact us as soon as you become aware of the need for treatment.
Services provided upon request include:
- Referral to a participating physician.
- Dietary and supplemental treatments for anemia.
- Explanations of alternatives to transfusion, including fractions (blood derivatives) and procedures.
- Advance Directive information.
- Point-of-care Hemoglobin level test.
- Personal consultation with patient and family.
- “NO BLOOD” wristband, chart, and over-bed signage provided at admission.
If you have an Advance Directive (Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care), please bring it with you when being treated as an in- or outpatient. Patients who refuse blood products under any circumstances will be asked to execute the Refusal of Blood form.