“Patients receive some of the best cardiac care right here at Sacred Heart, where we have nationally recognized specialists, state-of-the-art facilities, and some of the most experienced nursing and technical staff in the Northwest.”
—Michael Ring, MD
You have many options when the care you need relates to your general health. But when it comes to your heart, you simply can’t take chances. Whether you need a routine procedure or a major, life-changing surgery, it benefits you to be with people offering advanced medicine you can trust … the experts at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center.
There is no other hospital in the region where you can receive a mechanical heart implant, heart transplant or robotic surgery, plus all the routine heart procedures you would expect of a world-class heart hospital.
Did you Know...
- Spokane heart surgeon Ralph Berg, MD performed the first open-heart surgery in Spokane at Sacred Heart Medical Center in 1959 - Just four years after the nation’s first open-heart surgery was performed at the Mayo Clinic.
- In the 1980s, Sacred Heart's cardiac surgeons attracted national attention by being among the first in the nation to perform open-heart bypass surgery during heart attacks.
- Sacred Heart was the first medical center in the region to perform robotic heart surgeries in 2002.
In 2003, a 9-month-old child becomes one of the world's youngest patients to undergo robotic-assisted heart surgery at Sacred Heart Children's Hospital.
Experience worth trusting
A hospital where physicians and technicians frequently perform certain procedures develops a higher level of expertise—and better outcomes for patients. Because Sacred Heart is a high-volume hospital, other local and regional facilities refer their most severe and complicated cases to us.
Sacred Heart’s reputation for quality also comes from a 50-year history of being at the forefront of cardiovascular advances.
- Consistently leads Washington state for quality outcomes in cardiac care (Hospital Quality Alliance);
- Performs three times as many cardiovascular procedures than any other hospital in the region (Department of Health, 2006);
- Ranks in the nation’s top 10% of hospitals in treating patients for heart attack and congestive heart failure, and in the top 20% for coronary artery bypass grafting [Premier, Inc.];
- Has been named the area’s top hospital by consumers: best doctors, best nurses, best reputation and best overall quality (National Research Corporation); and
- Is among an elite group of hospitals awarded mentor status for improving patient care (Institute for Healthcare Improvement).