Know me. Care for me. Ease my Way.
Each year, more than 100 caring individuals from our community volunteer more than 12,000 hours, carrying out the Vision Statement of Providence St. Mary Medical Center. As a non-profit hospital, we rely on the service of volunteers to provide our patients and visitors with compassionate service and a personal touch—to know patients, to care for patients and to ease their way.
Providence offers many diverse volunteer opportunities involving patient contact, clerical, retail, spiritual care and a special summer volunteer program for high school students.
Areas of Service
Volunteer will offer comfort items to patients, including blankets, pillows and magazines; place the call light, remote, telephone and other needed items within reach; visit with patients; and assist nursing staff with errands and other duties.
Volunteer will provide support by stocking supplies, running errands and assisting with turning over rooms and miscellaneous clerical projects.
Same Day Surgery Liaison
Volunteer will serve as a liaison between the reception and preoperative areas, update the family on the location of the patient and teach them how to use the OR tracker board, offer comfort measures to preoperative patients and assist the staff with miscellaneous duties, including stripping beds and preparing supplies.
Other hospital volunteer areas:
- Gift Shop
- Cancer Center
- Spiritual Care
- Cancer Resource Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Pet Therapy
Volunteer Application Process
- Complete the Volunteer Application and background check forms
- Volunteer Services will contact you to set up a time to interview and turn in your paperwork
- Volunteer Services will notify you with results of interview. If you are being considered for a position, background checks will need to be run. This can take 5 to 10 business days. You will be notified once your background checks are completed and advised of next steps.
- Attend Volunteer Orientation (held once monthly)
- Follow the steps discussed during Volunteer Orientation to get your TB Skin Test (required)
- Volunteer Services will contact you with details for departmental training
The volunteer application process takes six to eight weeks. We ask for a six-month commitment and a minimum of one four-hour shift per week for all volunteers.
High School Volunteer Summer Program
Providence St. Mary Medical Center is very excited to offer a dynamic service-learning opportunity for high school students in the community.
- The 2018 High School Summer Volunteer Program will take place June 19 – August 21 and will require 60 hours of volunteer service.
- This 10-week commitment includes a volunteer assignment in a hospital or clinic setting.
- All High School volunteers are expected to be available Monday - Friday for either the 8 a.m. to noon shift or a noon to 4 p.m. shift. Volunteers may take only two weeks of vacation time during the program and they must complete their 60 hours.
- We will also offer a unique opportunity for you to meet our caregivers and learn more about their careers. This event is available exclusively to program participants.
- Advance our Mission of caring for the poor and vulnerable through volunteer service.
- Sharpen your practical problem-solving skills within your volunteer position while receiving supportive mentoring from staff.
- Practice key communication skills in a diverse environment comprised of patients, family members, visitors and staff from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.
- Increase your understanding of the health care field as an exciting and rewarding career path.
- Interested sophomores, juniors and seniors between the ages of 16 and 18 are eligible to apply. Download and complete our online application form and return it to us by April 25, 2018. Acceptance and denial letters will be sent out by April 30.
- All applicants selected into the program and parents must be able to attend a mandatory Meet and Greet the evening of May 8.
- All applicants selected into the program must attend a half-day orientation on June 19.
- All accepted students must meet all onboarding requirements by June 1. Details will be discussed during the Meet and Greet.
- All students accepted into the program will receive their schedule for training by June 15.
- Students must be available for training during the week of June 20-27, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Training may take two or three days.
Please feel free to call Patti Lennartson, 509-897-2072 with any questions you may have about the program.