• Print Print
  • Share
  • Text Size: A | A | A

Our Founders

Founders of the St. Vincent Home for the Aged (1924)


ConstructionMount2The Early 1900s
In the early 1900s, Sr. Mary Conrad Kratz, in her rounds of visiting the poor and sick in Seattle, dreamed of a place where the elderly would be given adequate care and housing. In 1920, Frank M. Sullivan, former director of Dexter Horton National Bank, visited Sr. Mary Conrad and shared that same dream.

On July 29, 1923 the cornerstone was laid for St. Vincent Home for the Aged and the House of Providence (Provincial Headquarters and Novitiate for the Sisters of Providence) by The Rt. Rev. Edward J. O’Dea, Bishop of Seattle. Frank Sullivan gave Sr. Mary Conrad $1,000 and promised more from his business acquaintances. Construction began with $125,000 in pledges, $80,000 in cash and a considerable amount of donated materials. Architect John Graham was hired, and an additional $900,000 was raised from the business community and others

MountSisters2On January 24, 1924, the Sisters of Providence relocated their Provincial Administration, Infirmary, and Novitiate from the Providence Academy in Vancouver, Washington to the newly opened Mount St. Vincent. The Sisters lived on the premises. Among their other duties, they administered the facility and cared for the elderly residents.