The Intergenerational Learning Center
The Intergenerational Learning Center (ILC) is an award-winning child care program located within Providence Mount St. Vincent in West Seattle. All children are welcome.
Both planned and spontaneous activities and programs for children take place throughout the building and campus which is also home to more than 400 older adults. Five days a week, the children and residents come together in a variety of planned activities such as music, dancing, art, lunch, storytelling or just visiting. These activities result in mutual benefits for both generations. This enhances the opportunities for children and people of all ages to have frequent interaction and is an integral part of the Mount's intergenerational community.
The ILC offers children opportunities:
- To learn about the normal aging process;
- To accept people with disabilities;
- To be involved with people who are two or three generations apart;
- To become part of an extended family;
- To help them reduce their fear of older adults; and
- To receive and give unconditional and unbounded love and attention.
In addition, residents and program participants benefit from:
- Frequent interaction with children throughout their day;
- Physical activity in playing with the children;
- Opportunities to play, laugh and enjoy the spirit and joy that children bring to their home environment;
- A renewed sense of self-worth;
- An opportunity to transfer knowledge; and
- The ability to serve as role models.
Our Curriculum is Based on Problem-Solving
In a problem-solving atmosphere, children are encouraged to think of solutions to problems that arise throughout their day, with their teachers acting as facilitators and guides. When children are learning that they are capable of solving problems, the teacher is neither permissive nor authoritarian. Children are trusted and encouraged by teachers to resolve problems that may occur in their environment, with materials and in their relationships. In addition, the children must take responsibility for their actions.
Four Child Care Program Areas
Four program areas nurture your child through the early years. The ILC program areas are divided based on the child's age.
Variety of Fees and Schedules Are Offered
There are a variety of fee schedules available, ranging from full time to part time (full days, two to three days per week).
For more information and current availability
Call (206) 938-6195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.