• Print Print
  • Share
  • Text Size: A | A | A

Supportive Housing FAQs

Can I submit one application for multiple properties or locations?
No, you must submit a separate application for each House you are interested in applying to.

How long is the wait list?
The length of the wait list and turnover frequency varies at each House. Waits may be as little as a few months but more often than not are one year or longer.

Do you take pets?
Yes, pets are accepted in our Houses provided they meet certain size and weight restrictions.

How big are your apartments?v One-bedroom apartments are approximately 540 square feet and include a private kitchen with appliances, living room, bedroom and bathroom.*

*All units at Providence Vincent House are studios. Seven units at Providence House Yakima are studios. Six units at Providence House Oakland are two-bedroom.

How do I get an application?
Click on the internet page of the House you are interested in, click on “Application for Housing,” print the application, complete and mail to the address provided or call the phone number of the House you are interested in and an application will be mailed to you.

Am I allowed to have guests?
Residents are allowed to have guests including overnight guests provided they comply with the House Guest Policy.

Are activities offered?
Every House is different but all offer a variety of activities intended to promote community engagement. Examples include yoga, tai chi, computer education, English as a Second Language classes, community potlucks, holiday celebrations and barbeques, exercise classes, blood pressure screening, foot care programs, etc.

Are meals provided?
No. Every apartment has a fully equipped kitchen. Residents are responsible for preparing or otherwise procuring their own meals.

Is there a curfew?

How much is rent?
Rent is approximately 30% of the tenant’s monthly income (less some approved medical expenses). The balance of the rent is paid for through a subsidy by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Does rent include utilities?
Tenants pay their own electric although a utility subsidy (utility allowance) is included in their rent calculation.

Is Supportive Housing like Assisted Living?
No. Supportive Housing is an independent living model and does not employ medical staff.

Am I eligible if I am disabled?
Yes. Providence Supportive Housing programs are subject to Fair Housing Law and therefore may not discriminate against people with disabilities. Some special units may be available for people with mobility, vision or hearing impairments.

Are housekeeping services available?
No. While the House does not provide housekeeping services for residents, some residents employ chore and/or home care workers to provide assistance in the home including but not limited to cooking, cleaning, personal care, shopping, etc.

Is smoking allowed?
No. Providence Supportive Housing facilities are non-smoking. **

** Providence House Yakima and Providence Vincent House allow new tenants who smoke. Providence House Oakland and Providence St. Francis House are transitioning to non-smoking status and therefore not accepting new tenants who smoke.